Our client is one of the top solution and consulting agencies in Austin. They are creative thinkers with a passion for helping clients take their business to the next level.
As our client's first Creative Director, you are responsible for ensuring our products will meet or exceed client’s expectations and deliver measurable value to our clients throughout the entirety of our projects. You will lead the entire creative team including UX, Product Design and Design Technologist. You will grow our design practice by providing thought leadership, mentorship, and education to our teams and our clients acting on the latest trends and research in design. You have a high standard for design aesthetic and front-end engineering and coach teammates to level up their skills in these areas. The key performance indicators for this role are measured in quality, profitable delivery within constraints (time and budget), and overall customer and employee satisfaction.
Establish Design practice standards and work to align the team behind them:
- Work closely with cross-functional teams to audit existing projects and ensure designs are functional, user-friendly and adhere to design best practices.
- Generate design process plans for common phases and socialize among cross-functional teams.
- Working closely with sales, help shape the Design vision and process during initial engagements.
- Provide thought leadership and education to teams and clients on UX trends and best practices through presentations, materials, and documentation.
- Working closely with marketing and sales, promote design service through a variety of channels and methods.
- Help shape and refine our Design services and deliverables in different phases.
- Provide teams with the documentation, assets, resources, and tools they need to sell, think, and deliver design solutions.
- Conduct regular research on current UI/UX trends, best practices, and tactics, to ensure we stay competitive in design.
Enhance customer experience:
- Lead clients and teams in workshops and activities that deliver value while providing a great experience.
- Conduct regular project audits to assess and improve customer experience and design team delivery.
- Provide thought leadership on improving our service to clients based on human-centered practices and/or competitive landscape research.
- Help document client engagements for use in case studies.
Lead, manage and grow the Design team:
- Lead and manage design team including UX Leads, Product Designers, and Design Technologist.
- Manage all design contractors: inspect projects to ensure their work well represents our company; review and approve invoices; help ensure maximal LER profitability.
- Hire in alignment with the chosen staffing strategy, ensuring that each new hire possesses the right skills, is appropriately flexible to take on a variety of assignments and aligns well with our culture and core values.
- Build a sustainable bench of talent so that we can time new hires with new sales without delays that put new projects at risk.
- Work with the staffing team to match your team’s skills with project needs and oversee the deployment of resources to project assignments.
- Onboard & train new Design employees: establish onboarding and growth plan for the Design team
Participate in sales & project estimation; assist sales in securing new projects and ensure they get off to the proper start:
- Serve as a Design voice for sales, representing the design practice confidently, giving prospective and existing clients confidence in our ability to deliver.
- Support our sales and solutioning teams, providing approach recommendations, task definition, effort estimation, and client presentation support.
- Scope & estimation. Ensure (and own) that we have a thorough understanding of scope before estimation.
- Identify risk in the sales process and influence the experience direction of our approach and/or staffing strategy to mitigate our risk of executing.
- Work ahead of sales to ensure staffing plans are established before SOWs close.
Serve as a point of escalation and resolution on active client projects:
- When client situations escalate within our Design discipline, you will serve as the point of escalation for clients and teams.
- Coach members of your team to improve themselves as points of escalation so that the number of issues that surface to you reduces over time.
Required Skills & Qualifications
- 4 year degree in design, human factors, computer science, or combination of experience and education
- Highly creative individual possessing 10+ years of hands-on experience with product design/development
- 5+ years leading software design teams
- 5+ years of agency experience is preferred
- Experience building out Design teams
- The desire to provide mentorship and inspiration
- Experience contributing to process improvements and creating new processes
- While working remotely is allowed, we envision this leadership role to spend 80+% of their time working in person from our central-Austin office
- Authorized to work in U.S.