Our client is looking for a Director of Engineering to lead the software engineering, cloud architecture and software operations teams. The teams you lead are critical to ensuring we deliver and maintain the best product and technologies to our customers and include development, architecture, agility, and test. Working transparently and collaboratively with both the product and creative/design organizations, the Director of Engineering will report to the President and be one of the leaders of the Technology organization.
As a Director, you will act as a partner to leaders in product, design, operations and program management to foster a collaborative environment and focus on delivering business value from your teams. The Director will also focus on building, engaging, and growing the team through activities like recruiting, performance management, mentoring, talent development, team organization, and communication and reinforcement of the connection between the team's work and company objectives.
The Director will also be responsible for leading, accelerating, and managing positive change as we scale, grow, and improve our technology platforms including but not limited to, vendor migration, CI/CD pipeline modernization, engineering productivity improvements, process maturation, and re-platforming.
- Inspire, lead, recruit, hire, train, and mentor multiple teams of software engineers
- Advocate, evangelize, and implement modern software engineering & agile best practices
- Build, enhance and maintain software and cloud technologies that enable rapid innovation and are inspired by customers
- Conduct reviews, track individual’s goals, participate in performance calibration sessions, and manage compensation
- Provide radical candor style feedback to your team
- Partner with Product Owners to maximize their effectiveness and execution on the product roadmap
- Find opportunities to expose engineers to career interests while developing them to meet their career and training goals
- Provide oversight, guidance and review work performed by others.
- Foster collaboration between teams and drive consistency across them
- Help translate business requirements into technical needs and actions
- Create an inclusive, positive work environment where people are motivated to do their best to help the organization achieve its objectives
- Communicate about technical, as well as strategic concepts to diverse audiences
Required Skills & Qualifications
- 10+ years of software engineering experience with at least 3 years in a Java environment
- 3+ years direct technical management experience
- Extensive experience in organization design and workforce planning, budget planning, contract negotiations, and vendor management.
- Be a thought and technical leader and people manager
- Ability to operate efficiently and maneuver comfortably through complex people-related dynamics, and thrive in a startup environment
- Art for determining and implementing the right amount of process for our size/need
- Not afraid to roll up your sleeves and get into the code if necessary
- BS/MS in Computer Science or Engineering