Our client is one of the top solution and consulting agencies in Austin. They are creative thinkers with a passion for helping clients take their business to the next level. The Director of Engineering will lead the Engineering team and deliver world-class software solutions to clients.
This is a full-time, permanent position with our client. Must be authorized to work in U.S.
- Lead, mentor and directly manage the Engineering team, which includes Software Developers (web + mobile), Solution Architects, Front End Developers and DevOps
- Identify new talent for the team, coordinating and conducting on-boarding training and oversee resource management
- Work collaboratively with the other heads of departments, including Design and Project Management
- Work with Solution Architects, Designers and Project Managers to gain understanding of long term technology impacts and ensure skilled development resources are available from a variety of staffing sources when project needs arise
- Collect, manage and report on key performance indicator metrics in order to maintain and improve delivery quality
- Participate in design tasks for all architectures. Assist in defining architectures. Provide oversight, guidance and review work performed by others.
- Review all active projects that involve a high level of custom programming, and mentoring the Developers to develop a strong project approach, identify technologies to apply, and identify pitfalls to watch out for
- Drive the definition, creation, and maintenance Programming Practices, Standards, and Conventions with regard to mobile, web, and other applicable technologies
- Participate in sales activities, such as project estimating and serve as the technical voice for sales
Required Skills & Qualifications
- 5+ years experience leading, managing and delivering large scale IT projects and/or teams
- Experience managing a team of developers involving web and native product development using platforms and technologies that include Node.js, React, MongoDB, PostgreSQL, MySQL, React Native, .NET and others
- Experience developing, deploying or supporting commercial, customer facing distributed or mainframe solutions with hands-on enterprise application architecture and design experience
- Strong experience working in an agile and scrum delivery environment
- Strong client facing experience with a ‘client first’ mentality
- Proficient in software architecture, software engineering best practices, agile methodologies, and design principles
- Deep experience working on all facets of IT project implementations; quality assurance, software development, project management, and operations.
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment; juggling multiple client projects in-flight simultaneously
- Ability to adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Copes effectively with complexity and change. Tolerance for ambiguity and whiplash while under time pressure. Can make progress on a task with fuzzy requirements without constant direction from someone else.
- 4-year degree in Computer Science, Mathematics or combination of experience and education